Thursday, July 31, 2014

Monday is the New P-day!

Date: July 28, 2014
Week 6 Mexico City MTC Departure Day!
Companion: Elder Bell
Elder Kimball and his MTC district
July 2014 Mexico City CCM

Dear Familia!
First off, Its is currently 8:23pm here in Mexico City and we leave for the airport at 10:30pm. My flight to Bogata, Columbia leaves at 2:15 am. I arrive in Columbia at 6:15 am and then my flight for Quito, Ecuador leaves at 8:55 am and arrives at 10:30am. I am all packed and ready to go! I will now explain to you five simple things that I have learned here at the CCM.

1) Try your language
Many people come to the CCM and don´t even try to speak Spanish. They are afraid to try and I think that they forget that they have been called of God to speak this language. The Lord will help you a lot, all you have do is try it. It is daunting at first, but this is no time to be messing around. Peoples salvation is on the line!
Elder Kimball y Hermano Salvador, mi maestro
July 2014, Mexico City MTC
Elder Kimball y Hermano Hernandez
July 2014 Mexico City MTC
2) Being Focused and The power of Prayer
During my 6 weeks in the CCM, I had the opportunity to serve as a Zone Leader for five districts. Each and every week, Elder Bell and I would interview each district leader and then their companion. Each time it would be the same problem that the districts were having and that was remaining focused. I completely understood why it was so hard for us to be focused,sitting in a classroom from 7am to 9;30 pm. That's not everyones cup of tea, and it sure wasn't mine. But I really wanted to work hard on my mission and take my mission as a opportunity to change my terrible study habits. I got down on my knees and prayed to my Heavenly Father to bless me with the ability to focus always on the task at hand. Ever since that moment I have never had a greater yearning to ready and study the scriptures. I try to learn as much Spanish as possible and because I try to be focus the Lord helps me with the rest. I shared my experience with each district this past week. During those meetings, the Spirit was able to touch many people. As I stood there as a witness of Jesus Christ, the Spirit was able to speak through me and I truly felt like a mouthpiece for the Lord. I know that as we turn to the Lord with our problems, He will help us, comfort us, and guide us on his path and this is only done through prayer.
Elder Kimball y Hermana Sierra
July 2014, Mexico City MTC

Elder Kimball y Hermana Garcia, Mi maestra
July 2014 Mexico City MTC

3) Representative of Jesus Christ
On your mission, you can learn real fast that you can't just take the name tag off. A special thing about this name tag is that it only has two names on it. Your last name, or your family name which you try to honor as well as you can, and the name of our Savior Jesus Christ. Being a Kimball, I know I am the best;). Im just being honest, and in the words of John Richards, "I am also the most humble out of all of you". But in reality everyones last names carry prestige and accountability. Having the same last name as a previous prophet of God, well that's a different ballgame. By honoring your last name you are honoring the people and the family members who came before you. But when you have the opportunity to not only represent your family but Jesus Christ, you cant just name tag off. The same as you can't deny a calling from the Lord. Being a representative of Jesus Christ, you think differently about your actions, language, and thoughts. I am proud to represent the Kimball Family in Quito, Ecuador, and I am proud to represent my Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Elder Kimball & his district
July 2014 Mexico City MTC

4) Power and Authority of the Spirit
I know that teaching by the Spirit is a neccessity as a missionary. There are many times where Elder Bell and I go into a visit and are completely off the script. The Spirit will guide your words and help you know what to say, but as Elder Bell likes to remind me "faith without works is dead". At the CCM, they teach you how to invite the spirit into every lesson. Its the only way you can have a change of heart or cambio de corazon. The Spirit is so vital in these disscussions because I don't know enough Spanish and the Spirit touches people in a way that I just can't.
Elder Killpack de Shelley, Idaho y Elder Kimball
July 2014, Mexico City MTC

Elder Sok de Spokane, Washington y Elder Kimball
July 2014 Mexico City, MTC
5) 99 Sheep
Lastly, you learn to cast your nets or to forget about home. Jesus teaches to leave the 99 and go after the one. I left my 99 sheep back in Texas and it is now time for me to go find the 1. I know that now is the time for me to go to Quito and find my 1 sheep. I have loved my time here in Mexico but I am definitely ready to meet my other family here in Ecuador. I have had all eternity to prepare for this moment, and I will have all eternity to remember it, but I only have two years to live it.

Love you all and cant wait to hear your voices, 
Elder Kimball

Elder Hurtado de Provo, Utah y Elder Kimball
July 2014 Mexico City MTC


Editors Note:  Since Colton was enroute to his mission he had an opportunity to call us here in the states.  We happened to be traveling in Eastern Washington at the time he called us at my Aunts house and we had a very special conversation with Colton as he waited to board his flight.  Bella and I cried like babies but Colton was just excited and ready to get to Quito to really begin his service.  He spoke to each one of his siblings and bore his testimony in Spanish.

When he arrived in Quito on Tuesday July 28 he was able to email us and let us know he arrived safely.  Here is that letter:

Dear Mom and Dad,
I love you guys! It was great getting to hear your voices! I landed in Ecuador safely! And I am alive and well here at the mission home in Quito. Can't believe I have made it this far. I don't have much time to write so please tell everyone that Pday is Monday. Quito is beautiful. Tell the kids to just imagine Guatemala but slightly better. I met President and Sister Richardson. Imagine him just like Brother Brown (Our Stake YM's President). I love you guys and will email you more Monday. 
Your son and brother,
Elder Kimball
P.S  I don't start teaching till Thursday.......

More Pictures from Elder Kimball

Elder Kimball and his district
July 2014 Mexico City MTC
Elder Kimball y Hermano Salvador, mi maestro
July 2014 Mexico City MTC

Elder Bell being silly
July 2014, Mexico City MTC

Elder Kimball's district
July 2014 Mexico City MTC

The district again
July 2014, Mexico City MTC
The goodbye party with some Martinellis
July 2014 Mexico City MTC

Elder Hall from EFY company also Kylies BF (tell her this!)
July 2014 Mexico City MTC

Elder Raney from my zone. Played basketball with his brother at UTSA building. His brother married one of the Stadlers. Show them this!
July 2014, Mexico City MTC

Elder Conner from Minnesota. Just a good friend
July 2014 Mexico City MTC

Elder McNaughtan from Heber City. Funniest District leader ever!
July 2014, Mexico City MTC


No comments:

Post a Comment