Monday, April 27, 2015

Best Two Years Ever!

Date: April 27, 2015
Week: 44 Lago Agrio
Companion: Elder Lares/Peru
Waking into the waters of baptism
Aguarico, Ecuador April 2015

I love being a missionary! I feel like when my Mom and Dad sent me off to the mission field they "blind folded me up, spun me around, gave me something sharp, and let me go".  Sometimes I look back and can't believe how far I've made it, and there are other times I look ahead and am grateful for  how much time in the mission I have to go.

We just had a baptism for Isamar San Martin Pogo this past Saturday in the river Aguarico (The water ain't so rico....). Baptizing in an Amazon river is not an experience I thought I would have but I did! The water is definitly scary because I don't know how many Discovery channel documentaries or River Monsters shows I have watched where some "river monster" gets somebody in the river. I was scared but after about 15 feet in I felt comfortable. We had to walk out about 30 feet to finally get deep enough so I had to do the baptism a little loud.
The whole branch at the baptism
Aguarico, Ecuador April 2015
Practically the whole branch showed up! I am so used to seeing baptisms in Quito where its hard to get the bishop to even show up. The spirit is so strong here because in the branch we are dealing with so many new converts. The baptism was real spiritual. The other old companions, Elder Castillo y Elder Palomino, also had a baptism with us of a girl named Elisa Arcos. It was a special day for us as missionaries. The spirit was strong. Afterwards we all gathered back in the church and had a cake that was prepared by the members. It was awesome!

On Sunday, Elder Lares got to confirm Isamar a member of the church and she gave her testimony during the meeting. Isamar is leading the way for her family. Her parents are not yet married and the father does not want to take part in the discussions but the mom is full support of coming to church and everything. She will be a strong future leader in the church.
Elder Lares,  Isamar San Martin Pogo, and I just before the baptism
Aguarico, Ecuador April 2015

All of those being baptized
Aguarico, Ecuador April 2015

Elder Lares and I are doing swell. We passed cambios intermedios last night and as he says he is unfortunately here another 3 weeks. What a terrible way to go through your mission. Wishing to be in a place where your not. We get along together fine. when its time to work, we work, and when its time to sleep, we sleep. That's just how the misison is. He says he is tired of being in the heat. I guess he has now served in the heat 8 months straight now. I think I'm just accustomed to being out in the hot sun all day.

A thing I am not used to is when it rains cats and dogs and destroys my umbrellas! Literally rain will fall so fast here and next thing you know you are wading through the streets. Its a good thing I don't have my IPhone 6 out here because it would have totally gotten water damage unless the new phones are water proof!?!?
Flooding outside of our apartment
Lago Agrio, Ecuador April 2015

We did recieve a new Elder in our district yesterday. His name is Elder Rubich. I think its spelled like that. The week before the district in Coca received Elder Linderman who was assistant to President. So now we have Elder Castillo,  Elder Rubich, and Elder Palomino together. Elder Rubich will be the new Branch President. Elder Valentine is district leader here. Elder Bell is district leader over in Coca and Elder Lindeman is Zone leader over in Coca. They usually move leaders during the changes and will move the others during the actually changes. I hope I don't get changed again, but we still have plenty of time (May 17) until that happens.

Mother's day is coming up but they still haven't sent anything out that lets us know when we can call, so sorry Mom and Dad. I still don't know. Can't believe its Mother's day already! Feels like I just called home for Christmas! This time I want each family member to write three questions that they would like to have me answer and I will happily do it. I don't want a repeat of last year where I'm just sitting there with Bailey on the phone trying to think of a question. Please compare questions before asking them so that ya'll don't repeat questions.

Questions to Avoid (Just so ya'll know these questions were asked last year)
1) Can you come home early from your mission?
2) Do you find any of the sister missionaries attractive? (I think we can guess who said this one. Bella that stinker)
3) Is it snowing there? (Mom....)
4) How do you say IPhone in Spanish? (Can anyone tell they opened Christmas presents right before I talked to them?)
5) Have you baptized anyone? (This one is probably the most popular)

Well I hope we can have a good call this year!
KFC fiesta box for the Latinos.  We love our new KFC
Lago Agrio Ecuador April 2015


I think its so funny to teach the commandments because when we mention them people begin to think of the two commandments Jesus gave us. "And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself." (Luke 10:27)

And then they can't name the rest of the commandments! Hahaha I hope that we can all watch this video and remember the ten commandments still apply to us today. There might be a few that you could be breaking without even knowing it.
Love you all and be safe,
Elder Kimball

Bailey! You stopped writing me!
Clay! How are ya bro?
Lexi! Ya look beautiful sweetheart!
Leah! How was the NY trip?
Bella! Love you sweetheart and hoped you had a fun trip!
Collins- One cute baby the Kimball's have their hands on. Too bad they are having more. We all thought you were the lucky seventh. I guess we will be the elite eight. Or is it the No way they have Nine kids. Editors Note: Colton is still fishing to see if we are having more kids so don't tell him!
Mother! Love you so much and appreciate you more than you know!
Dad! Love you and thanks for edifying me in your email today! Keep being the awesome dad that you are!
Colton

No comments:

Post a Comment