Monday, April 18, 2016

La Semana del Infierno

Date: April 18, 2016
Week: 94 Iñaquito, Ecuador
Companion: Elder Murillo/ Genova, Italy
Colton's Address:
Quito Ecuador North Mission
Francisco Robles E-4 151 Av Amazonas
Edificio Iglesia de Jesucristo
Quito Ecuador

Elder Murillo and I
Iñaquito, Ecuador April 2016
Well, this week was one crazy week! Probably one of the toughest and strangest weeks of my entire life. I'll try and get everything in, but we'll see how fast these fingers can type.

So I was with Elder Murillo this past week. Elder Murillo really is a great elder. We had some good times together but sometimes we make dumb decisions. Elder Murillo taught me a lot about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I saw the atonement work not only in him, but also in me. I will think of this scripture (D&C 3:10) whenever I think of my dear missionary companion, Elder Murillo.
 "But remember, God is merciful; therefore, repent of that which thou hast done which is contrary to the commandment which I gave you, and thou art still chosen, and art again called to the work;
The boyz.  Having a slumber party all week!
Iñaquito, Ecuador April 2016
So for certain reasons, we were given instructions to spend the night with the Zone Leaders all last week! It was actually a blast! The zone leaders (Elders Wheelwright and Olsen) are two funny dudes! I got to work with Elder Olsen most of the week and it was pretty awesome!

We had just returned to the house in Iñaquito Saturday night to pick up some stuff Elder Murillo and I needed. So we were in the house and then the window starts shaking. I didn't think anything of it until Elder Olsen was like, are you feeling this? All of a sudden the curtains are swinging back and forth and some dishes fell and we recognize we are witnessing an earthquake!

I started trying to remember all the things I learned to do in an earthquake (running, sitting, walking, etc.) The earthquake lasted a good 3 mintues of shaking. I got pretty sick by the end of it. It was the first earthquake I had ever experienced. People were running outside and screaming while these two gringos were wishing that it would last longer. It was so cool!

Unfortunately, it wasn't as cool as we thought for others. It was extremely strong for people near the coast. It's been reported that there are over 300 deaths. There isn't much service for us Quito missonaires to be doing, but it's crazy how open the hearts of the people have been since then.
Cristo en Las Americas activity
Iñaquito, Ecuador April 2016

The Zone Leaders
Elder Wheelwright on the left and Elder Olsen on the right
Iñaquito, Ecuador April 2016
On Sunday, we did an activity called Christ in the Americas. This is where we contacted people in this huge park for a good 3 hours. We set up a little tent asking for information to visit the people. The people were so receptive, it was crazy! Left and right, we were taking down peoples addresses and numbers. We want to keep doing it every Sunday, just because it was so effective!

Just to finish up, Elder Nielsen and I have been playing basketball these past couple weeks at 5:00 in the morning against the Zone Leaders and we haven't won a game. Well, this morning Elder Nielsen and I put on a show. We destroyed them. So our bball skills are slowly returning, and it's a great workout!

Well With all the earthquakes and stuff happening, it reminds me of one of my favorite mormon messages. Men's Hearts Shall Fail Them. With all the people that were open to hearing our message just because of the earthquakes, it reminded me how we must always be prepared for the Lord's coming. We must prepare ourselves now to be brought forth unto the tribunal of the Lord to be judged of our works! (Alma 34:31-37)

 31 Yea, I would that ye would come forth and harden not your hearts any longer; for behold, now is the time and the day of your salvation; and therefore, if ye will repent and harden not your hearts, immediately shall the great plan of redemption be brought about unto you.

 32 For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors.

 33 And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many witnesses, therefore, I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.

 34 Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God. Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world.

35 For behold, if ye have procrastinated the day of your repentance even until death, behold, ye have become subjected to the spirit of the devil, and he doth seal you his; therefore, the Spirit of the Lord hath withdrawn from you, and hath no place in you, and the devil hath all power over you; and this is the final state of the wicked.

 36 And this I know, because the Lord hath said he dwelleth not in unholy temples, but in the hearts of the righteous doth he dwell; yea, and he has also said that the righteous shall sit down in his kingdom, to go no more out; but their garments should be made white through the blood of the Lamb.

 37 And now, my beloved brethren, I desire that ye should remember these things, and that ye should work out your salvation with fear before God, and that ye should no more deny the coming of Christ;

I know that we must always be ready. As Jeffrey R. Holland says "Sanctify yourselves". We must always be ready, and we must always remember this council:  "Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor." (D&C 88:81)

I know that this a sacred work. I have loved my mission. Friday night, Elder Olsen and I were invited to a missionary farewell and we were invited to talk to the congretion about what we have learned on our missions. I have loved my mission to the fullest. It has been the greatest thing I have ever done. Many people told me before going that I would lose time or waste time that I could have been doing for other things. Boy, I can't wait to prove them wrong. Although I may still be immature, dumb, and sometimes prideful, I am trying. I have learned how to turn my weaknesses into my strengths. I have learned to recognize them and the experience I have gained out here is priceless. I didn't give 2 years to the Lord, He gave me his guidnce and love.

I know these thing are ture, and I share them in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Much love to all,
Elder Kimball

Bailey- Ñaña, no letter from you this week! Feeling sad but wanted to let you know that I didn't die in the earthquakes just in case you were heartsick worried.
Clay- Bro you know I miss you! Keep being awesome and you know I'll be trying that hoverboard when I'm back!
Leah- You just told me that your love will be my homecoming gift. I wouldn't want anything else. I love you too!
Lexi- Notice how I put you after Leah... maybe I would appreciate a little letter....
Bella- Sorry Lexi is being mean! I hope you can keep being strong and not let her bully you. Don't  worry, I'll be home soon and I'll set order to the Kimball Kingdom, my princess!
Collins- Nice pot belly. Leah sent me a video of you riding the hoverboard and your little white stomach had a nice appearance. It looks like mine!
Capri- You know I love you and can't wait to meet you!
Mom- Thank you for your prayers and sorry for making you cry all the time. I just have to make sure you still miss me now that we're nearing the end!
Dad- You know I love you too! Thanks for alwats giving me great advice!
P.S Beating you in basketball and stealing your car has been a crowning moment of my life just wanted to remind you of that. Love you!
Love to all!,
Elder Kimball

No comments:

Post a Comment