Monday, January 11, 2016

Miracles and Miscommunications

Date: January 11, 2016
Week: 81 Cangahua, Ecuador
Companion: Elder Moreira/ Quevedo Ecuador
Colton's Address:
Quito Ecuador North Mission
Francisco Robles E-4 151 Av Amazonas
Edificio Iglesia de Jesucristo
Quito Ecuador
We had Stake Conference so got to see alot of people from Ponceano. This is a family that I taught but the girl (Angie Rojas) on my left finally got baptized. So I guess I found another convert of mine.
Cangahua, Ecuador January 2016

When your a missionary serving in a place where they don't speak your native tongue, there are bound to be some miscommunications between you and the people. For instance, today Elder Moreira and I went with our district to a local mall in Quito. Since it's our P-day, we bowl and play some pool for a couple hours and then we go to eat. Elder Perry and I decide we want some burgers so we go to this burger place in the food court. Well, I finally figure out sort of how the ordering system works and I decide I want this mexican burger, size large. Elder Perry obviously wants the same thing, so he decides to order. Well we get our burgers and for some reason mine is 3 times the size as his. So there is always miscommunication especially if you can speak pretty well. It's just not perfect. So now the reason for why I'm speaking about miscommunication:
That time we ate the intestines of a pig...
(Don't ask about my hair I'll explain it later)
Cangahua, Ecuador January 2016

Looks like I couldn't finish
Cangahua, Ecuador January 2016
My Hair....
So I ask my companion Monday how I should tell the lady to cut my hair.  Literally I think maybe Ecuadorians just explain on how to cut hair differently from anywhere else in the world . Or maybe thiese are consequences from having my mom and dad always talk with the lady on how to cut my hair. Well my companion explains to me how I should tell her if I wanted his type of hair. Well obviously I don't want that, but I went with it anyway. So I tell the lady and she looks at me like I'm crazy. I call my companion over so that he could tell her and she still doesn't understand so next thing I know she is taking a razor right down the middle of my head. There was nothing I could say! I just watched all my hair fall to the ground... The best is when the President of the Mission sees my new haircut and says "You want to know the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut?" He smiles and then says "just two weeks".
Another pic with a family I rescued. They are still active! Los Ñacato.
Cangahua, Ecuador January 2016

Besides that little unfortunate event, a lot of stuff actually went well this week! Our stake had conference and we had Elder Taylor Godoy from the seventy come. He had some amazing stories that I wish I had time to share right now but I don't. Being stake conference, I was able to see a lot of people from Ponceano (one of my old areas). Turns out Angie Rojas finally got baptized. She is preparing to serve a mission and has gone to the temple several times. Her brother was able to get baptized and it was just so awesome to see them again. I also was able to see the Ñacato Family! Hermano Santiago now has a calling in the stake and he comes every week with his family. They were very less active when my companion and I were able to reactivate them. Talk about fruit of my labors!

So the craziest thing happen! Elder Moreira and I went and visited Fabian (investigator) on Friday to remind him that he needs to attend Sunday or else he won't be able to be baptized for the 23rd. Well turns out he had work pop up and he let us know and asked if he could still get baptized for the 23rd. I told him that we would have to call our President and ask him. Well President said it would be better if he could have at least one more time to attend before his baptism. So we informed Fabian and he was quite sad but he went and he fasted. A principle we had just taught him that week. Well his sister-in-law, who is a returned missionary. She goes up during stake conference and talks with President and explained the situation with her brother in law. Well President said that it would be fine because he didn't know Fabian had had attended church prior to meeting with us! So I was given the opportunity to call Fabian and give him the good news, and what joy! Really to let someone know that their prayer had been answered and to be part of that!

I honestly love this work and can't believe some of the things that happen with the help of God! I know that He lives and that He helps us on a daily basis! His hand can and must be found in our lives! Everyone enjoy their week and God bless!

Elder Kimball
The District
Cangahua, Ecuador January 2016

Bailey! Hope you are doing fine! Haven't heard from you in a while! Just know I love you and pray for ya daily!
Clay- Heard about the arm. Not going to lie I laughed but now I'm worrid for ya. Hope that shoulder feels better! Put it to the wheel. Maybe that'll work.
Lexi- Have fun at soccer! Remember defense wins championships!
Leah- Same to you but you should put more goals into that net or else ya won't win!
Bella! Hows life, you grown up you? Can't believe how old you are, oh and also how pretty!
Collins- Can't wait to meet ya! Don't grow up too much before ya bro gets home!
Capri- Same goes to you! I guess you took my advice and finally put on weight!
Mom- Thanks for doing my BYU application! I pray for you daily also because you always sound like you need it!
Dad- Nice hair! Wish my ward mission leader was cool as you! Love you and I'm always trying to follow your example!
Much Love, Elder Kimball

No comments:

Post a Comment